Conflict Resolution

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Conflict resolution

Circumstances may arise when a landlord and tenant come to an impasse about an issue pertaining to a lease, living conditions, responsibilities, etc. It's imperative to be cooperative with the other party during this time, as a way to prevent the escalation of an issue. There are resources provided by the City of Ames and Iowa State University, which can be utilized to report an issue and seek advice. Please reference the resources below to assist in mitigating an issue.

City of Ames resources

File a complaint with the Inspection Division - In the event the landlord fails to make the necessary repairs requested, the tenant should properly notify the property management in writing of the needed repairs. If after reasonable time has passed with no actions from the property management, a written complaint can be filed with the City of Ames Inspection Division. A complaint for can be complete by clicking here.

File a complaint with the Human Relations CommissionIf a tenant believes they have been discriminated against by a landlord, the tenant may file an official complaint with the Ames Human Relations Commission (AHRC). Landlords are prohibited from refusing to sell, rent, lease, assign or sublease any real property or housing accommodation to any person because of the race, color, creed, sex, religion, national origin, disability, familial status, sexual orientation or gender identity of such person.

Iowa State University resources

Iowa Concern -  Legal issues can take their toll on one financially as well as emotionally. With some legal education and assistance, matters can be resolved. To assist with this process, Iowa Concern has stress counselors available by phone or one-on-one live chat. In addition, an attorney is available for legal questions by calling 800-447-1985 or emailing.

Student Legal Services -  This on-campus service provides Iowa State University students with free legal advice and consultation regarding landlord and tenant issues. For more information about Student Legal Services or to make an appointment, please call 515-294-0978 or visit their office in the Memorial Union (office 0367).

When and How to Manage or Resolve Conflict - To learn more about the techniques and strategies to manage conflict, please click here.

Other resources

Iowa Legal AidIowa Legal Aid is a nonprofit organization providing critical legal assistance to low-income and vulnerable Iowans who have nowhere else to turn. To find out if you may be able to get free legal assistance, please call Iowa Legal Aid at 800-532-1275. You may also apply online by going to the online application interview.

Information about landlord and tenant rights