REGULAR MEETING OF THE AMES CITY COUNCIL
COUNCIL CHAMBERS - CITY HALL - 515 CLARK AVENUE
JUNE 12, 2018
CALL TO ORDER: 6:00 PM
1. Proclamation for “Watershed Awareness Month:” June 2018
2. Proclamation for “National Homeownership Month:” June 2018
CONSENT AGENDA: All items listed under the consent agenda will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate discussion of these items unless a request is made prior to the time the Council members vote on the motion.
3. Motion approving payment of claims
a. Class A Liquor & Outdoor Service – Green Hills Residents’ Association, 2200 Hamilton Drive #100
b. Class E Liquor, C Beer, & B Wine – AJ’s Liquor, 4518 Mortensen Road #109
c. Class E Liquor, C Beer, & B Wine – Kum & Go #200, 4510 Mortensen Road
d. Class E Liquor, C Beer, & B Wine – Kum & Go #214, 111 Duff Ave.
e. Class E Liquor, C Beer, & B Wine – Kum & Go #216, 203 Welch Ave.
f. Class E Liquor – MMDG Spirits, 126A Welch Ave.
g. Class C Liquor & Catering – Texas Roadhouse, 519 S. Duff Ave.
h. Class E Liquor, Class C Beer & B Native Wine – Casey’s General Store #2560, 3020 S. Duff Ave.
i. Class C Liquor & Outdoor Service – Old Chicago Pizza & Taproom, 1610 S. Kellogg Ave.
j. Special Class C Liquor, Class B Wine, & Outdoor Service – Wheatsfield Cooperative, 413 Northwestern Ave.
k. Class C Liquor & Outdoor Service – South 17th Street Food & Beverage, LLC, 300 S. 17th Street
a. Motion approving blanket Temporary Obstruction Permit and blanket Vending License for the closed area
b. Resolution approving the closure of Burnett Avenue between 5th Street and 6th Street, including the closure of 13 metered parking spaces, and six additional spaces on 5th street from 9:00 a.m. Monday, July 2 to 10:00 a.m. Thursday, July 5
c. Resolution approving waiver of parking meter fees and enforcement, usage and waiver of electrical fees, and waiver of fee for blanket Vending License for event from 9:00 a.m. Monday, July 2 to 10:00 a.m. Thursday, July 5
17. Resolution approving preliminary plans and specifications for Installation Services for 69kV UG Power Cable - Top-O-Hollow, setting June 27, 2018, as the bid due date and July 10, 2018, as the date of public hearing
19. Resolution approving Main Street Iowa Program Agreement with Iowa Economic Development Authority and Ames Chamber of Commerce (d/b/a Main Street Cultural District) for July 1, 2018, through December 31, 2019
23. Resolution awarding contract to Electrical Engineering and Equipment Co., of Windsor Heights, Iowa, for Motor Repair for Power Plant from July 1, 2018, to June 30, 2019, for hourly rates and unit prices bid in an amount not to exceed $90,000
a. Resolution approving renewal of contract to Total Insulation Mechanical, Inc., of Ames, Iowa, for period from July 1, 2018, to June 30, 2019, in an amount not to exceed $80,000 b. Resolution approving contract and bond
26. Resolution approving renewal of contract with Keck Energy of Des Moines, Iowa, to Supply #2 Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel to Power Plant for period from July 1, 2018, to June 30, 2019, in an amount not to exceed $150,000
a. Resolution approving renewal of contract with ESA, Inc., of North Sioux City, South Dakota, for period from July 1, 2018, to June 30, 2019, in an amount not to exceed $80,000
b. Resolution approving contract and bond
28. Resolution approving renewal of contract with Burns & McDonnell of Chesterfield, Missouri,for Professional Services for Fire Risk Mitigation for Power Plant for period from July 1, 2018, to June 30, 2019, in an amount not to exceed $50,000
29. Resolution awarding contract to HTH Companies, Inc, of Union, Missouri, for Specialized Wet Dry Vacuum, Hydro Blast, and Related Cleaning Services for hourly rates and unit prices bid in an amount not to exceed $120,000
30. Resolution awarding contract to Wesco Distribution of Des Moines, Iowa, for Electric Services Aluminum Cable in the amount of $79,447.50 (inclusive of Iowa Sales Tax and subject to metals adjustment at time of order)
31. Resolution waiving Purchasing Policies and Procedures and awarding a sole-source contract to WatchGuard Video of Allen, Texas, for body-worn cameras for the Police Department in the amount of $141,907
32. Resolution waiving Purchasing Policies and Procedures and awarding a contract to United Conveyor Corporation of Waukegan, Illinois, for engineering services for Unit 7 and Unit 8 Fly Ash Handling System Modifications in the amount of $65,250
33. Resolution waiving Purchasing Policies and Procedures and awarding a contract to The Babcock & Wilcox Company of Kansas City, Missouri, for engineering study for operating Unit 8 Boiler at lower steam temperature and pressure in the amount of $76,263
35. Resolution awarding contract for Year Four of a five-year contract to Itron, Inc., of Liberty Lake, Washington, for purchase of water meters and related parts and services for the Water and Pollution Control Department for the period of July 1, 2018, to June 30, 2019, in an aggregate amount not to exceed $433,400
PUBLIC FORUM: This is a time set aside for comments from the public on topics of City business other than those listed on this agenda. Please understand that the Council will not take any action on your comments at this meeting due to requirements of the Open Meetings Law, but may do so at a future meeting. The Mayor and City Council welcome comments from the public; however, at no time is it appropriate to use profane, obscene, or slanderous language. The Mayor may limit each speaker to five minutes.
43. Motion setting salaries for Council appointees FY 2018-19
PARKS & RECREATION:
a. Motion providing direction to staff
PLANNING & HOUSING:
a. Project Overview
b. Resolution authorizing City to co-sponsor (with Iowa State University Research Park) the U. S. Economic Development Administration Grant Application
a. Resolution assessing costs of snow/ice removal and certifying assessments to Story County Treasurer
a. First passage of ordinance vacating right of way
a. Motion accepting Report of Bids and delaying award of contract
a. Resolution approving final plans and specifications and awarding contract to Minturn, Inc. of Brooklyn, Iowa in the amount of $558,600
52. Second passage rezoning properties within the Downtown Gateway Focus Area of the Lincoln Way Corridor Plan from Highway Oriented Commercial (HOC) and Downtown Service Center (DSC) Zoning Districts to Downtown Gateway Commercial Zoning District
53. Second passage of ordinance approving revision to Municipal Code Section 21.121(2) to allow signs not exceeding 16 square feet to be erected in residentially zoned private parks
54. Third passage and adoption of Downtown/Gateway Zoning District ORDINANCE NO. 4355 pertaining to standards
55. Third passage and adoption of ORDINANCE NO. 4356 relating to installation of public art in setbacks
56. Third passage and adoption of ORDINANCE NO. 4357 establishing the 415 Stanton Avenue Urban Revitalization Area
57. Third passage and adoption of ORDINANCE NO. 4358 rezoning 3507 South Duff Avenue from Highway-Oriented Commercial (HOC) to Agricultural (A)
58. Third passage and adoption of ORDINANCE NO. 4359 modifying Section 19.12 of Municipal Code to allow bike-riding on hard-surfaced pathways in Brookside Park
DISPOSITION OF COMMUNICATIONS TO COUNCIL:
Please note that this Agenda may be changed up to 24 hours before the meeting time as provided by Section 21.4(2), Code of Iowa.