Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Common Words Used When Talking About Lead in Drinking Water

Service Line
Your service line is the pipe that connects your household plumbing to the water main in the street and delivers the water from the City water main to your home.  In the City of Ames, the water main is maintained by the Public Works Department. 



service line-2


Stagnant (stagnate)
Water having no current or flow. Water ceasing to move or flow becomes stagnate.  When referring to stagnant water in a home, it means water that has been sitting in a home’s pipes without being moved or used for several hours or more.    

Corrosion (corrode) 
The dissolving or wearing away of metal caused by a chemical reaction between the water and plumbing materials.  

Leach (leaching)
The removal of metal from a substance, through the percolation of water, or water passing through.    

Source water
Water from streams, rivers, lakes or underground aquifers—that is used for drinking.  The City of Ames uses an underground aquifer (the Ames Aquifer) as its water source.   


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer