- Submit a completed hydrant meter application to the City of Ames Water Meter Division. A signature is required by the individual or contractor's representative who will be responsible for any damages that may occur to the hydrant, meter, or backflow prevention device.
- Once the completed application is submitted to the Water Meter Division, an appointment will be scheduled for a staff member of Water Meter to meet with the representative or contractor at the specified hydrant to install the hydrant meter.
- The individual or company requesting the hydrant meter is responsible for providing a lock and chain to secure the outlet valve to prevent unauthorized water usage.
- Once the hydrant meter is no longer needed, contact the Water Meter Division at 515-239-5151. The lock and chain must be removed from the outlet valve prior to the removal of the meter.
- Charges will be calculated by the Water Meter Division and billed through the City's Finance Department.
NOTE: Unprotected hydrant meters will be allowed from April 15 through October 15. If the hydrant and meter cannot be protected from freezing, contact the Water Meter Division at 515-239-5151.
Last Updated: February 8, 2018