Hydrant Meters

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

City of Ames Hydrant Meter Application

Hydrant Meter graphic

  1. Submit a completed hydrant meter application to the City of Ames Water Meter Division. A signature is required by the individual or contractor's representative who will be responsible for any damages that may occur to the hydrant, meter, or backflow prevention device.

    Click here to access the PDF fillable version of the most current Hydrant Meter Application

  2. Once the completed application is submitted to the Water Meter Division, an appointment will be scheduled for a staff member of Water Meter to meet with the representative or contractor at the specified hydrant to install the hydrant meter. 
  3. The individual or company requesting the hydrant meter is responsible for providing a lock and chain to secure the outlet valve to prevent unauthorized water usage.
  4. Once the hydrant meter is no longer needed, contact the Water Meter Division at 515-239-5151. The lock and chain must be removed from the outlet valve prior to the removal of the meter. 
  5. Charges will be calculated by the Water Meter Division and billed through the City's Finance Department.

NOTE: Unprotected hydrant meters will be allowed from April 15 through October 15. If the hydrant and meter cannot be protected from freezing, contact the Water Meter Division at 515-239-5151.


Last Updated: February 8, 2018