Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Frequently Asked Questions

 FOG logo 2016 3-23-16

Q: My business does not prepare or handle food of any kind, but we still must have a Food Service License.  Can we receive an exemption from the requirements of the Fats, Oils, and Grease (FOG) Control Program?

A: In an effort to bring everyone into the program and also to be fair and impartial to all Food Service Establishments (FSE); all business with the Food Service License will be required to submit a certification form showing compliance with the program during the previous six-month period. 

FSE's without food preparation on-site will be able to certify by implementing Best Management Practices (BMP's) to prevent FOG from going down the drain. 

Implementation of a BMP program and a six-month certification that the BMP's are being followed, will allow an FSE to comply with the program and avoid paying the Restaurant Surcharge rate. 

Q: Am I allowed to use additives or emulsifiers (anaerobic or otherwise) to reduce the accumulation of Fats, Oils, and Grease in my plumbing or my grease removal device?

A: The City of Ames Municipal Code prohibits the use of additives or emulsifiers designed for the purpose of reducing Fats, Oils, and Grease accumulation, unless first approved by the Director of Water and Pollution Control.  At this time, the City will not approve vendors or products.  Rather, we will look into, on a case by case basis, for each establishment.  FSE's can call 515-239-5150 or email to request approval for an additive or emulsifier before initial use. 


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer