Transfer Residential Service

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Please Read Transfer Service Instructions Before Proceeding

Use this form, transfer service, if you currently have an account in your name with the Ames Municipal Utilities and want to stop service at your present address and start service at a new address served by us.

Use the start service form if you do not have service in your name or if you are a current customer of the Ames Municipal Utilities and want to add an additional service in your name.

Please submit your transfer service request to the Ames Municipal Utilities at least one working day prior to the date you want your service to start or to stop.  The start and stop dates can, but do not need to be the same day.  If the dates are different, then your request should be submitted at least one working day prior to the earlier of the two dates.  A $25 same day service charge may be billed to your account if your transfer service request is not received at least one working day prior to the date you want your service started or stopped in your name. Working days are Monday through Friday, except holidays.  Transfer requests received after 4:30 p.m. will be considered as being received on the next working day. 

A new or additional security deposit may be required if your bills were not paid in full by the bill due dates or you have not had service with us for at least 9 consecutive months.  Security deposits are equal to the highest bill for one month during the previous twelve months.

To complete the transfer service form, you will need the following information:

  • Your date of birth and your social security number.  If married, you will need the same information for your spouse.  If you do not have a social security number or do not wish to provide your social security number, then you will need to come to the Utility Customer Service office at 515 Clark Avenue and complete a transfer request and present a photo identification. 
  • Your Ames Municipal Utilities account number (your account number is printed on your bill).
  • The date you want service to begin at new address and to stop at present address.  We may change either of your requested dates by up to two(2) work days to coincide with existing requests.
  • Your present and your new service addresses, including apartment, lot, or unit numbers.
  • Your landlord’s name, if you will be renting at your new address.

By submitting a request to transfer your utility service, you are agreeing to pay all utility bills rendered at your present address for service provided through the stop date. You are also agreeing to pay all utility bills rendered for service provided at your new address while the account is in your name. The account will remain in your name until we receive notice to stop your service.

You will receive an automatic email notification after we have processed your transfer service request if you enter your email address on the request form.

Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption technology will be used to protect the information you provide to us on the transfer service form. If you would prefer to mail or fax your request to us rather than submitting it electronically, you can download a PDF version of the transfer service form here.

To do this, you will need to have a version of the Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software. 

Back to the top of the page 
This page was last updated on 04/09/2015 .