Please read Stop Service Instructions Before Proceeding
Use this form, stop service, if you have an account in your name with the Ames Municipal Utilities and you want to stop your service.
Use the transfer service form if you currently have an account in your name with the Ames Municipal Utilities and want to stop service at your present address and start service at a new address served by us.
Please submit your stop service request to the Ames Municipal Utilities at least one working day prior to the date you want your service terminated. A $25 same day service charge may be billed to your account if your stop service request is not received at least one working day prior to the date you want your service terminated. Working days are Monday through Friday, except holidays. Stop service requests received after 4:30 p.m. will be considered as being received on the next working day.
To complete the stop service form, you will need the following information:
- Your date of birth and your social security number. If married, you will need the same information for your spouse. If you do not have a social security number or do not wish to provide your social security number, then you will need to come to the Utility Customer Service office at 515 Clark Avenue and submit a stop request and present a photo identification.
- Your Ames Municipal Utilities account number (your account number is printed on your bill).
- The date you want service to stop. We may change your requested date up to two(2) work days to coincide with an existing request.
- Your service address, including apartment, lot, or unit number.
- Your forwarding address.
- If you are renting, your landlord’s name.
You will receive an automatic email notification after we have processed your transfer service request if you enter your email address on the request form.
A final bill will be prepared within two weeks of your stop date. If you have a deposit with us, it will be applied to your final bill. A refund check will be issued to you if your deposit exceeds the amount of your final bill. Refund checks are mailed four to ten days after final bills are mailed.
Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption technology will be used to protect the information you provide to us on the stop service form. If you would prefer to mail or fax your request to us rather than submitting it electronically, you can download a PDF version of the stop service form here.
To do this, you will need to have a version of the Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software.
This page was last updated on 04/09/2015.