Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
  • Can I haul it myself?

    Yes!  Take it to the Resource Recovery Plant at 110 Center Avenue and pay for disposal there.
  • How can I get rid of furniture and appliances?

    Hauler Services. Most haulers will pick up furniture or appliances at your home for a fee if you call ahead and make arrangements. You may also haul these items to the Resource Recovery Plant (RRP). There is a fee for this service payable at the time of disposal. Call for fees.
  • What about Recycling?

    Some haulers pick up glass, cardboard, milk jugs and other traditionally recycled items as well as your weekly waste; check with your hauler and ask if they provide this service, and for their schedules and fees.  

  • What do we do with Construction and Demolition Waste?

    The site you were using to dispose of construction and demolition debris, the Ames-Story Environmental Landfill, is now closed.  With this closure, our planning area is left with one designated landfill, the Boone County Landfill, to handle all Construction & Demolition (C&D) waste from Story County.  Below is a list of items acceptable at the Resource Recovery Plant, as well as at the Boone County Landfill.


    Phone: 515-239-5137
    110 Center Avenue, Ames, Iowa 50010

    Paper Plastic  Food or Beverage Containers 
    Tires Furniture  Paper Covered with Drywall Mud or Joint Compound 
    Garbage Cardboard  Empty Paint Containers 
    Appliances Car Batteries  Empty Caulk Tubes
    Food Waste   Household Hazardous Materials (Call for Appointment)

    In Iowa, state law requires that any waste generated within a planning area must be disposed of in accordance with the area’s Comprehensive Plan.  For our planning area (Story County), this means materials accepted by the Resource Recovery Plant will not be accepted at the Boone County Landfill.  C&D waste from within a planning area cannot be landfilled outside the planning area without violating state law.

    The Resource Recovery Plant accepts cash, checks, and credit cards.


    Phone: 515-433-0591
    1268 – 224th Lane, Boone, IA 50036 

    Monday - Friday     8:00 am – 3:00 pm
    Saturday     8:00 am – 11:00 am 

    • All loads MUST be tarped.
    • Asbestos-containing materials – call BCLF for their acceptance policy.
    • Mobile Homes – call BCLF for their acceptance policy.
    • If your load contains other trash, it will be rejected until it is sorted appropriately  

      Wood Flooring Asphalt Shingles
      Wiring Concrete Paper Insulation
      Metal Drywall Fiberglass Insulation
      Brick Plaster Windows
      Siding Stone Glass

    BCLF accepts cash or checks; they do not accept credit or debit cards.  A charge account can be applied for if you will be conducting business with them on a regular and ongoing basis.  Contact them for an application.

    You will be required to declare the origination of all loads delivered to BCLF.  Making a false waste origin declaration will result in Boone County pursuing all available legal options for redress.

    In the event a load is rejected, it is the hauler’s responsibility to reload any material that has already been unloaded.

    The BCLF will not accept non-processed demolition waste from projects that exceed 300 tons (estimated total building weight prior to demolition).  These “large-scale” demolition projects must recover and divert (at a minimum) the following from landfill disposal: brick; concrete; recoverable metals; appliances; tires; PCB-containing light ballasts; fluorescent tubes; hazardous waste; and any other material(s) banned from landfill disposal. Contact the BCLF for “large-scale” waste acceptance policy.


  • What other services are offered at the RRP?

    Garbage disposal for commercial and residential customers.

    Recycling bins at RRP for container glass (any color), no charge for drop off.

    Recycling of auto and truck batteries at no charge.

    Waste oil recycling, 5 gallons or less no charge, $.25 per gallon after 5 gallons.

    Household Hazardous Materials disposal by appointment on Wednesday afternoons, at no charge.

    Appliance disposal for $20 each. Appliance may include but is not limited to stove, refrigerator, freezer, dishwasher, water heater, humidifier, dehumidifier, washer, dryer.

    Financial assistance for the operation of the Yard Waste Site, Chamness Technology at 26107 530th Avenue, Ames 50010, phone 515-450-0450, so commercial customers and private citizens may dispose of leaves, grass, and brush. We fund five free days at the Yard Waste Site: one in the Spring for leaves and brush and four in the Fall for leaves and grass.

  • Where is the landfill?

    We don't have one in Story County. Well, we do, but it's been closed since 1992.  Garbage goes to the Resource Recovery Plant, where it is processed into ferrous metal, refuse derived fuel (RDF), and rejects. Through an agreement with the Boone County Landfill, we take our rejected material to them. Therefore, it is not necessary for us to maintain our own separate landfill.
  • Who collects my garbage?

    In Ames and Story County there are only private garbage haulers. These haulers are able to pick up garbage anywhere in the city or county; there are no assigned territories. To find a carrier, check the yellow pages or ask a neighbor for a recommendation, or look at our Licensed Area Haulers page.
  • Will the City pick up any of my trash?

    No.  The City of Ames does not pick up any garbage. Check the Licensed Area Haulers page to find phone numbers.