The Ames Police Department is committed to developing positive, long-lasting partnerships with the community. One of these partnerships is the Student Internship Program. Our goal is to provide students the opportunity to experience the various aspects and responsibilities of law enforcement in a positive work environment.
The program will allow students to interact with the different divisions within the Police Department, gaining valuable knowledge in each area. You will experience how a municipal Police Department operates and how we work with the community to establish positive relationships.
- Must have at least a sophomore standing at an accredited university or college.
- Must be currently enrolled, through their respective college or university, in an internship or independent study class offering.
- Currently hold a 2.5 or higher grade point average on a 4.0 scale.
- May not have any felony convictions.
If you would like to apply, please click on the following link and download an application. When you’ve completed the application send it to Intern Coordinator and drop off the required attachments at the Ames Police Department, 515 Clark Ave, Ames, IA 50010.
Thank you for your interest.
Electronic Internship Application Link
- For SUMMER and FALL internships - applications are due the second Friday in April.
- For SPRING internships - applications are due the second Friday in November.
How do I apply? Complete the Internship application and submit it to Intern Coordinator prior to the beginning of the semester. Make sure you mail or drop off the required documents.
Does it pay? No, but many colleges and universities offer college credit towards graduation while participating in the program.
When do I ride? Interns schedule their ride times in advance. We are flexible and do our best to work around any scheduling conflicts.
How many hours a week do I need? It all depends on your particular independent study or Internship Program. Some classes require more time than other. There is a maximum of 20 hours a week.
Further questions? Contact:
Sgt. Watson at firstname.lastname@example.org or Officer Olson email@example.com