Welcome to the City of Ames Legal Department
Our Mission is to provide the highest quality legal services to the City at the lowest possible cost to the taxpayers; to provide sound and objective legal advice and representation to the City officials and staff, Mary Greeley Medical Center and all other City departments; to earn and keep the respect and trust of those for whom and with whom the office works; and to act in accordance with the highest ethical and professional standards.
Listing of Services:
- Advise Council, staff, boards and commissions on legal and policy matters
- Draft ordinances and amendments, and publish Municipal Code
- Litigate in District and Appellate courts claims by and against the City
- Collect unpaid bills and fines through negotiation and settlement or litigation
- Represent the City in all administrative and arbitration claims, including labor and employment, inspections, housing, licensing, animal control, and other administrative matters
- Provide legal advice and support at all meetings of City Council and at meetings of boards and commissions
- Supervise and monitor all legal work performed by outside counsel
- Draft and review contracts, real estate, and other legal documents
- Respond to public inquiries regarding City Code and regulatory matters
- Advise and represent Mary Greeley Medical Center in contract, employment, collection, and regulatory matters
- Prosecute all criminal complaints, traffic tickets, code enforcement violations, parking appeals, and other municipal infractions in courts-of-law as necessary
The City of Ames Legal Department cannot provide advice or representation concerning personal legal issues.