City Hall and all other City facilities are closed to the public as a precaution against the spread of COVID-19. The closures will be effective after 5 p.m. Thursday, March 19, and will continue through May 15, 2020. City staff will continue to report to their offices and serve the public. Residents are encouraged to conduct City business online or by contacting individual City departments directly. Residents who are unsure how to conduct their City business may contact the City’s customer service hotline from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday at 515.239.5670.

Electrical Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Nick Patterson, Electrical Inspector
Phone: 515-239-5336

can by submitted in person to the Inspections office, by email to, or online through the CSS portal.


Electrical Permit Application (pdf version)
Electrical Permit Application (fillable Excel version)

Homeowners submitting a permit application for work being performed by themselves on their own homes will need to include a drawing of the work being done. Homeowner Electrical Permit Application


TEMPORARY OR PERMANENT SERVICE also requires a Meter Request Form be submitted to the Utility Customer Service Department.



The City of Ames requires all contractors to be registered with the  City of Ames. Click here for the City of Ames Contractor Registration form. There is no registration fee.  

Electrical Contractors working in Ames must also be registered and licensed as follows:

Step 1:
Contact the State of Iowa Fire Marshal Division (Electrical License and Inspection Bureau) and obtain a Masters License and Electrical Contractors License.

Contact information is as follows:
Electrical Licensing and Permit/Inspection Program

Interactive County Map for Local and State Inspectors
Licensing Questions E-mail:
Permitting/Inspection Questions E-mail:

State Fire Marshal's Office
Electrical Examining Board
215 E. 7th Street
Des Moines, IA 50319

Phone: 515-725-6147
Toll Free (in-state only): 866-923-1082
Fax: 515-725-6151

Step 2:
Register with the State of Iowa Labor Division as a contractor performing construction work. 

Contact information is as follows:

Step 3:

Submit copies of a State of Iowa issued Electrical Contractors License and associated Masters License along with a City of Ames Contractors Registration Form to the Inspections Division.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer