ADOPTED CODES AND AMENDMENTS
The State of Iowa and City of Ames adopt model codes and standards, as do most cities and states nationwide. The adopted model codes are amended for specific local differences, such as climate, frost, snow, seismic, and wind conditions, and administrative procedures.
- 2015 International Building Code (IBC);
- 2015 International Residential Code (IRC);
- 2015 International Existing Building Code (IEBC);
- 2015 International Fire Code (IFC);
- 2015 Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC);
- 2015 International Mechanical Code (IMC);
- 2015 Fuel Gas Code (IFGC);
- 2012 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC);
- 2017 National Electrical Code (NEC);
- Iowa Code on Manufactured and Modular Structures;
- Accessibility: ICC A117.1-2009; and,
- Current National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Standards as referenced by the International Fire Code.
The adopted codes are part of state and local law, and are enforceable as such. The codes are minimum safety standards for the construction of buildings and the systems that are essential to the functioning of buildings. The model codes are available for public view at the Ames Public Library, City Clerk's office, and Inspection Division office. They can also be purchased on line at all major booksellers and construction book websites.