The Campustown Public Improvements Project on Welch Avenue will be constructed in five phases and will replace water main, storm and sanitary sewers, and reconstruct the sidewalk and street. Street lights will be updated and replaced. Additionally, trees and storm water quality features will be added to Welch Avenue (Lincoln Way to Chamberlain).
- Phase One starting May 4, 2020: Underground utility work will begin at the intersection of Lincoln Way and Welch Avenue. Con-Struct, Inc. and On- Track will perform this work. Westbound traffic will be shifted to head-to-head traffic on the eastbound lanes from Stanton Ave. to Hayward Ave. for approximately two weeks, then eastbound traffic will be shifted to head-to-head traffic on the westbound lanes. These improvements are expected to take a total of three to four weeks to complete. (See map below or click here for larger view). Access to businesses will be maintained throughout the construction period. Parking will be available along Chamberlain Street and at the Ames Intermodal Facility.
- Phase Two: ( Intersection of Welch Ave and Lincoln Way ) Work will continue on the eastbound lanes at the intersection of Lincoln Way and Welch Ave. Storm sewer, water main, and a sanitary manhole will be installed. This work will take approximately 2 weeks to complete and is slated to begin May 21, 2020.
- Phase Three: (Welch Avenue - Lincoln Way to CVS Parking Lot)This phase will include underground utility improvements, tree trench boxes for water quality improvements, street, bike lane, and sidewalk reconstruction. This phase will be completed multi-stages with underground utility work completed first, tree trench boxes for water quality completed next, and then pavement improvements will be completed once the utility work in phases 4 and is complete.
- Phase Four: (Welch Avenue - CVS Parking Lot to North portion of the Fire Station parking lot) Similar to phase 3, this phase will include underground utility work, tree trenches for water quality, and pavement improvements that will include bike lanes, street, and sidewalk. Work on this phase will start with the underground utilities and tree trenches and then move to Phase 5. The remaining work within this phase will be completed with pavement improvements in Phase 3, 4, and 5.
- Phase Five: (Welch Avenue - S. portion of Fire Station parking lot to Chamberlain Street) This phase will include underground utilities, tree trenches for water quality, and pavement restoration of street, bike lanes, and sidewalk. The underground work and tree trenches will be completed first and then pavement restoration will be completed with the phase 3,4 and 5 paving efforts.
City Staff Contact: Hafiz Ibrahim, 515.239.5245
City Project Inspector: Jesus Campa, 515.203.0797
Con-Struct Project Manager: Doug, 515.203.6839
Welch Avenue Design
The City worked with WHKS, Inc. of Ames, Iowa to design the cross section that includes two bike lanes on Welch Avenue. (see below) Several concepts were developed by the Public Works Engineering staff in collaboration with the Community Regional Planning student group. The cross section concepts were provided to the public for voting via an online survey and various events including Welcome Fest and Public Open Houses and results given to the Ames City Council for final selection.