Useful Information

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Residential Smoke Detector Installation Requirements 
As of October 1, 2009, the State Fire Marshal has required new residential construction to be equipped with dual-sensor detectors.

State of Iowa and City of Ames codes require submittal of plans with permit applications. New commercial, industrial, and other specific building sprinkler systems must be designed by licensed sprinkler contractors or engineers with NICET certification. Plans for these projects must be prepared and stamped by the contractor or engineer. Alarm system plans may be designed, and plans prepared, by a licensed engineer or electrical contractor. Sprinkler systems for new homes may be designed by a licensed plumbing contractor. Alarm systems for new homes, small commercial renovations, and other specific buildings may be designed by electrical contractors. 
Helpful Hint: What do I do with my old fire extinguisher? 
Answer: You can take the old fire extinguisher(s) to the following locations: Hokel Machine, Iowa Fire Extinguisher, or the City of Ames Resource Recovery. Please make sure that the fire extinguisher(s) have been discharged first.