Here you will find information dealing with energy: what forms it takes, how it's used and how to save it. If you have questions, or need help understanding any of your energy issues, please call 515-239-5177, or email us with your comments and questions.
SunSmart Ames Community Solar Farm
Check out our Solar page for more information about how to sign up to participate in the SunSmart Ames Solar Farm. You'll also find out how you can install your own system.
The time to work with your home's efficiency level is before it gets hot or cold. I have included some links to sites that provide information that may help you make your home more energy efficient:
Check energy efficient products at the EnergyStar® Web site.
Improve the efficiency of your home at the EPA's Green Home site.
Education, renewable energy, load management, and rebates... Smart Energy can help you and Ames! Smart Energy, using resources resourcefully.
- Visit Energy Hog and have some fun saving energy!
- Explore the Energy Star kids page!
- What are the pros and cons of efficient light bulbs? Check it out here!
- Check this out, Home Energy Conservation for Kids!
How's Your Gas Mileage?
- Check out The Environmentally Friendly Car!
- Sign up for Prime Time Power year-round!
Get a $20 credit on your bill, and help keep rates low.
Check out TJ's pick for a super energy saving website here!
How Efficient Is Your Home?
- Understanding the current level of home's efficiency is an excellent first step to improving your comfort and reducing your energy bills. To help you, I have included a link to a self audit site.
The Database of State Incentives for Renewable & Efficiency - this site serves as the nation's most comprehensive, one-stop source of information on federal, state, local, and utility incentives and policies that promote renewable energy and energy efficiency. Established in 1995, DSIRE is an ongoing project of the North Carolina Solar Center and the Interstate Renewable Energy Council funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. DSIRE contains information on more than 2,200 programs and is accessible online for free at www.dsireusa.org.
- What Does It Cost to Toast Bread?
Ever wonder what it costs to run some of your household electric appliances? Here is a list of some popular appliances and their average monthly operating costs.
Can You Calculate Savings?
- Yes, you can. Check out these useful cost savings calculators:
- http://hes.lbl.gov/consumer - Helps you understand savings associated with making changes in your home.
- http://energyusecalculator.com/electricity_computer.htm - Looks at energy used by computers.
- https://www.lightbulbs.com/energy-savings-calculator- Estimates how much you can save by installing LED bulbs.
- http://www.csgnetwork.com/elecenergycalcs.html - A generic energy savings calculator that looks at lighting, appliances, laundry, and personal care. It also provides links to calculators for commercial equipment, and pollution.
- No self-respecting energy Web page would be worth its electrons without a link to local weather. Because so much of our energy consumption is related to comfort, and overcoming heat and cold, try these pages: weather information and degree day information.