Steve Schainker, City Manager
City Manager - Steve Schainker
The City Manager appoints all department heads and is responsible to the Council for proper administration of all city business, and for the annual budget.
Steve Schainker is one of the longest, continuously serving City Manager working today. He joined the City of Ames in 1979 and was appointed City Manager in 1982. The City Manager carries out the day-to-day responsibilities of running the city organization and oversees 18 departments and divisions including Public Works, Water and Pollution Control, Parks and Recreation, Finance, Ames Electric Services, Ames Police, Ames Fire, and Planning and Housing. Mr. Schainker reports directly to the Ames City Council, which is the policy-making arm of government.
The City Council makes laws, ordinances, and policy, and it is the responsibility of the City Manager to ensure they are carried out or enforced.
If you have questions or wish to contact the City Manager, please call: 515-239-5101.
Resident Satisfaction Surveys:
- Resident Satisfaction Survey 2019 (121 pages with comments) (PDF)
- Resident Satisfaction Survey 2018 (118 pages with comments) (PDF)
- Resident Satisfaction Survey 2017 (103 pages with comments) (PDF)
- Resident Satisfaction Survey 2016 (132 pages with comments) (PDF)
- Resident Satisfaction Survey 2015 (PDF)
- Resident Satisfaction Survey 2014 (PDF)
- Resident Satisfaction Survey Report 2013 (PDF)
- Resident Satisfaction Report 2012 (PDF)
- Resident Satisfaction Report 2011 (PDF)
- Resident Satisfaction Report 2010 [PDF]
- Resident Satisfaction Report 2009 [PDF]
- Resident Satisfaction Report 2009 Comments only [PDF]
- Resident Satisfaction Survey Report 2008 with comments [PDF]
For Links to City Budget and Financial Documents, Visit the City of Ames Finance Web
- Assistant City Manager - Deb Schildroth: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assistant City Manager - Brian Phillips: email@example.com
- Management Analyst - Tasheik Kerr: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Principal Clerk - Jacque Higgins: email@example.com
- Part-Time Principal Clerk - Erin Thompson: firstname.lastname@example.org
City Clerk Staff:
- City Clerk - Diane Voss: email@example.com
- Deputy City Clerk - Rachel Knutsen: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deputy City Clerk - Amy Colwell: email@example.com
Public Relations/Media Production Services: