Vending Licenses

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


To prevent the further potential spread of the COVID-19 virus, all Vending Permits have been suspended until further notice. This reduces the potential for gatherings or lines of people waiting for food, in the spirit of the same closures for restaurants. We will continue to evaluate the situation. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.


A vending license is required of anyone engaged in the sale of any food, beverages or other merchandise on public property (including streets, alleys, parking lots, sidewalks, etc.)

Vending is addressed under Sections 22.11–22.14 of the Municipal Code of the City of Ames. To obtain a vending license, applicants must provide the following:

  •  Proof that all required State licenses and permits have been applied for or obtained; and
  • An insurance certificate naming the City of Ames as an additional insured with comprehensive general liability limits in the amount of $500,000 combined single limit shall be in full force and effect during the life of the permit. A copy of the current insurance certificate shall be maintained on file with the city clerk.
  • Annual fee of $50.00.

Vending licenses are valid for a period of one year, except that:

  • A license for street vending during a special event or celebration (such as VEISHEA) shall be limited to the stated duration of the event or celebration; and
  • An annual license may be issued subject to a limitation that it shall not be in effect during the dates that a street vending license is issued with respect to a special event or celebration that encompasses the site of the annual license. (Individual vendors must work in cooperation with the sponsoring organization during the specified times.)

City Manager approval of all applications is required before a license may be issued.

Please note that vending of food and/or beverages requires approval from the Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals (515-281-6538).  The location of vending carts equipped with LP gas or a grill must be approved by the Fire Inspector. Feel free to contact the Inspections Division at 515-239-5153 for further information.


Vending Cart
Ice Cream Truck