City Hall and all other City facilities are closed to the public as a precaution against the spread of COVID-19. The closures will be effective after 5 p.m. Thursday, March 19, and will continue through May 15, 2020. City staff will continue to report to their offices and serve the public. Residents are encouraged to conduct City business online or by contacting individual City departments directly. Residents who are unsure how to conduct their City business may contact the City’s customer service hotline from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday at 515.239.5670.

Special Events

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


To prevent the further potential spread of the COVID-19 virus, all special events scheduled between now and May 15, 2020, will be suspended. We will continue to evaluate the situation and can consider rescheduling the affected events once social gatherings are no longer restricted. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.


Any organized event that occurs (even partially) on City property (streets, sidewalks, parking lots, parks, etc.) may require approval from the City's Special Event Committee. Many special events also require approval by the Ames City Council; therefore, it is encouraged to start planning and seeking permission well in advance. The Special Event Application must be submitted at least 30 days prior to your event. Events occurring on Iowa State University property or in the Main Street Cultural District require extra planning time and additional permission.

To hold a special event, fill out the:

Special Event Application

Public Safety and Event Management Plan Form

Applications may be submitted to the City Clerk's Office:

Fax: 515-239-5142
Mail: P.O. Box 811
Ames, IA 50010

The Special Event Application also serves as a single application form for Fireworks Permits, Road Race Permits, Temporary Obstruction Permits, and Vending Licenses when those licenses and permits are required as part of a special event. If you are interested in obtaining one of those licenses or permits but your request is not part of a special event, those licenses and permits must be applied for separately. 

For additional information particular to your event, see the resources below:

Affected Business/Resident Signature Sheet
Barricade Guidelines
Barricade Volunteer List
Beer Permits
City Parking Meter Map
Clean-up Volunteer List
 Noise Permit Application
 Special Event Regulations
Vendor Cooking Safety Requirements