|Estimate Your Property Tax|
|Important Points About Property Taxes|
|Rollback Percentages and Levies/Tax Rates (Current and Historical)|
Estimate Your Property Tax
- The Story County Treasurer has provided this tool to help you estimate your property tax:
- You can also use the following formula to estimate your property taxes for residential property, but remember, this is only an estimate.
|Assessed Value (Market Value)
x Rollback percentage
Taxable or Taxed Value
|Most Recent Rollback Percentages
56.9180% for residential real estate
Less $ for Military Credit (if applicable)
Net Taxable Value
|See Credits & Exemptions for
Military Credit qualifications
|Net Taxable Value
x Tax Rate
|Most Recent Levy/Tax Rates
• $31.52258 Ames/Ames schools
• $36.05395 Ames/Gilbert schools
Less Homestead Credit
Homestead Tax Credit
Important Points About Property Taxes
- Assessed values are based on calendar years - as of January 1.
- Taxes are calculated by the Story County Auditor for fiscal years, July 1 through June 30 using the previous year assessment.
- Property taxes are payable to the Story County Treasurer in two installments.
- The first half is delinquent October 1.
- The second half payment is delinquent April 1.
- Contact the County Treasurer for more details (515-382-7330).
- Taxes payable in the fall of 2019 and spring of 2020 will be based on the 2018 assessed value.
- A house built during 2019 will be first assessed for January 1, 2020.
- The assessed values for January 2020 will be the basis for taxes due in the fall of 2021 and spring 2022.
- For more information about property taxes in Iowa, please visit the Iowa Department of Revenue's Web site at www.iowa.gov/tax/educate/78573.html
Rollback Percentages and Levies/Tax Rates (Current and Historical)