A Collaborative Project for All Ages!
The City of Ames has partnered with Mary Greeley Medical Center, Iowa State University, Des Moines Area Community College, Story County, and Heartland Senior Services to explore building an intergenerational Healthy Life Center along property currently owned by Iowa State University on Scholl Road, just north of Ontario Street.
The Healthy Life Center purpose:
To provide a one-of-a-kind center that makes the life-long goal of healthy living accessible and enjoyable to people of all ages and socio-economic status.
Get Involved in the Philanthropic Effort
For more information, contact:
Ann Campbell (acampbellHLC@gmail.com)
Bev Madden (bmaddenHLC@gmail.com)
Warren Madden (wmaddenHLC@gmail.com)
The Healthy Life Center would bring to residents:
• A holistic approach
• A focus on health-promotion
• A support for physical activity
• Social connections
• Enhanced long-term health
• Improved nutritional behavior
• Multi-generational connections
To Make a Financial Pledge
Location: Ontario and Scholl Road/Ames
Details about the Site
Over the decades there have been rumors that this site could be “contaminated” because the federal government once operated the “Research Reactor” which is now called the “Applied Science Center” 500 yards north of this site. What is the factual information related to this concern?
Tom Barton, former Director of the Ames Laboratory and Harris Seidel, former Director of the City of Ames Water, Pollution and Control Department confirmed that this land never had any relationship to the Reactor/Applied Science Center. It is a clean and safe site. This site has only been used by Iowa State for agriculture purposes – it has never been used as a disposal site for anything – never. Please view the video featuring Tom Barton and Harris Seidel providing important, fact-based site information.
The Healthy Life Center is not a senior center, although Heartland Senior Services will be a tenant. The facility focus is “intergenerational,” and mixes all ages for the benefit of all participants. It is 100% focused on serving all ages!
This fact is demonstrated by the building components listed below:
Active Lifestyle features:
- Children’s Indoor Playground
- Children’s Outdoor Playground
- Therapy Pool
- Warm Water Pool for all ages
- Six lanes/25 yards rectangular basin
- Water Slides
- Current Channel
- Zero Depth Entry with Children’s Play Structure
- Gymnasiums (2)
- Physical Therapy Room
- Aerobics room
- Cardio/Fitness Equipment
Social Network features:
- Café/Lobby and Gathering Space
- Arts, Crafts, Music Room
- Multi-purpose Rooms and Child Fun/Watch Center
Health & Nutrition features:
- Teaching/Participation Kitchen
- Outdoor Community Gardens
- Adult Day Center
- Public Meeting Room Space
- SHIIP Counseling Office (Senior Health Insurance Information Program)
The Healthy Life Center collaboration partner team has continued to meet since 2016 to develop plans, explore costs, and look for opportunities to move the project forward. The Healthy Life Center would be owned by the City of Ames with partnership agreements with the other organizations involved. In fall of 2017, the City of Ames hired RDG consultants to conduct a feasibility study determine next steps.
To see an overview of the Healthy Life Center, please visit this PowerPoint presentation.
Questions? Want a Speaker?
For questions or to request a speaker for your organization, contact:
- Keith Abraham, Ames Parks and Recreation Director
- Gary Botine, Mary Greeley Medical Center
- Nancy Carroll, Executive Director of Heartland Senior Services
- Susan Gwiasda, Ames Public Information Officer