Grants Available to Improve Building Facades in Campustown Area
Post Date:01/09/2019 9:30 AM
Return to full list >>
Commercial property or business owners interested in enhancing the appearance of street-facing sides of commercial buildings located south and west of Iowa State University campus can apply for grants through the Campustown Façade Grant Program. The program provides incentives for projects to be completed in 2019:
- Grants of up to $15,000 matching an equal amount invested by the owner, and
- up to $2,000 for professional design fees for projects awarded a grant
The goal of the program is to encourage and maintain the diverse culture and “uniqueness” of Campustown; create a vibrant and walkable Campustown; increase safety, security, and investment by property and business owners; and add to the vitality of Campustown. The following design concepts have been identified in the Campustown Idea Book as positively contributing to this vision for Campustown. Applications must incorporate one or more of these design concepts into the project to be considered eligible for the program.
- Transparent Campustown: Increase transparency and access at the ground level to blend the public and private spaces.
- Social Campustown: Improve outdoor spaces that welcome public access with well-lit, park-like gathering spaces.
- Diverse Campustown: Create a more eclectic environment with vibrant and interesting design elements and by integrating art.
- Identifiable Campustown: Improve the identity and recognition of businesses with design elements that express the business brand identity or with distinct features that work cohesively within the greater context of Campustown
- Historic Campustown: Restore or preserve historic character of buildings that contribute to the historic character of the district.
The Campustown Idea Book is available on the Planning Division page of the City of Ames website at www.cityofames.org/planning and describes these concepts more fully with images and examples explaining the intent of the design concept. The application form is also available for download at the same location.
The application deadline is 5 p.m. on Monday, February 25, 2019. For questions on the program or application requirements, contact Julie Gould, Planning and Housing Department, at 515.239.5400 or by email at email@example.com