Mark your calendars! Rumage RAMPage 2017 will be coming this summer!
The City of Ames, in partnership with the ISU Office of Sustainability, is seeking volunteers to assist with the “Rummage RAMPage,” a new event planned to keep reusable items out of the landfill during move out and lease changeovers.
“Around the end of each July, students and community members are often faced with the dilemma of moving residences and discarding personal property,” said Superintendent Bill Schmitt with the Resource Recovery Plant. “Usable items are thrown in the trash or randomly discarded through dumping, and furniture ends up discarded, abandoned, damaged, and deposited in the landfill.”
The Rummage RAMPage will be held at the Ames Intermodal Facility parking ramp, 129 Hayward Ave. Volunteers are needed to help with the collection of donations of still-usable items, as well as to help run the rummage sale in the parking ramp. Proceeds from the sale will be divided among the non-profit volunteer groups that assist. Items would be offered for sale, “priced to move,” at $1, $5, $10, and $20. The sale would be open to everyone.
“The end of July can be a very stressful and difficult time for students and neighbors. We hope this event can reduce some of the stress and reduce the amount of material sent to the landfill by partnering reusable household goods with new owners,” said Merry Rankin, ISU Sustainability Director and City of Ames Sustainability Coordinator.
Consider helping at this new event that promotes sustainability and helps local non-profits!
Get involved in the Rummage RAMPage three ways:
- Donate items (Click here for a list of acceptable/unacceptable items)
- Donate your time to work the event - SIGN UP coming soon!
- Spread the word: Email this attachment or download, print and post an information flyer at your organization, workplace, or apartment building, if allowed. (Click here for an 8.5 x 11 flyer in PDF) (Click here for an 11 x 17 flyer in PDF)
Rummage RAMPage Hours:
- Noon to 6 pm Friday, July 28 (DROP OFF)
- 8 AM to 6 PM Saturday, July 29 (DROP OFF / SALES)
- Noon to 6 pm Sunday, July 30 (DROP OFF/ SALES)
- Noon to 6 pm Monday, July 31 (DROP OFF/ SALES)
- Noon to 6 pm Tuesday, Aug. 1 (DROP OFF/ SALES)
- Noon to 4 pm Wednesday, Aug. 2 (HALF PRICE)
Ames Intermodal Facility, 129 Hayward Ave.