Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Air Classification

Air Classification

 Air Classifier

This is the phase where the boiler fuel is separated.  Light, combustible pieces of refuse, called refuse-derived fuel (or RDF) are separated out using an air knife and whisked to a pneumatic tube, and blown into a large storage bin located midway between the Resource Recovery Plant and the electric utility.  Heavier, non-combustible pieces fall through a chute onto a conveyor, eventually to be landfilled.

In terms of tonnage, the RDF accounts for about 70% of the total mass flow of garbage.  This fraction, along  with the 5% of non-ferrous and ferrous metals recovered, means that 75% or more of the garbage entering the system is recovered in one form or another.

Next >