Obtaining Utility Services for New Construction
Utility Customer Service Division
Some forms on this page may be printed from your personal computer. To view these publications electronically, use the Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software. You may download the free version from Adobe's Web site and then download our files to your computer.
Applying for Utility Service
- Complete a meter request form. A meter request form may be printed from here or obtained from the Inspections Division or the Utility customer Service Division at 515 Clark Avenue. The completed form may be faxed to 515-239-5286. If the applicant is not an active customer on the Utility Billing System, a separate application for utility service will be required. The applicant will be contacted and an application for service will be mailed or faxed to the customer. A deposit may also be required.
- Once the meter request form and, if required, the application for utility service, is received by the Utility Customer Service Office, a service order(s) is sent to the Electric and/or Water Meter Division to install the meter(s). When you are ready for the meter(s), contact the appropriate division.
- After the meters have been installed, fees will be invoiced by the respective meter division and billed through the Accounting Division of the Finance Department.
- Charges for the utility consumption are billed by the Utility Customer Service Division.
(return to list)
Applying for a Temporary Electric Meter
- The contractor or property owner must complete an application for utility services. All utility services may be applied for on the same form. The meter request form may be obtained at the Inspection Division. To find out the current fee for temporary electric service, call the Customer Service Division at 515-239-5120.
- Temporary services for construction shall be set within 2 feet on the back of the electric pedestal.
- Call the Electric Meter Division when ready to have the meter set and the service connected. In most cases, service can be obtained the same day.
- The Electric Meter Division will set the temporary meter and will connect the service.
(return to list)
Applying for a Permanent Electric Meter
- Obtain an electrical permit and meter request form from the Inspection Division at 515 Clark Avenue, 515-239-5153. The electrical permit must have the signature of the electrical inspector before you proceed.
- Take the meter request form to the Electric Meter Division at 2208 Edison and pick up the electric meter socket. The Electric Meter Division will also determine the socket location on the building.
- Install the meter socket, service panel, GFCI and grounds.
- For residential homes and duplexes, provide a 30" deep trench from the location of the meter socket to the transformer/secondary pedestal. For commercial buildings, please refer to the electric meter standards available from the Inspection Division. You must have the covers on the entrance panel and approval of the electrical inspector or the meter will not be set.
- Call the Electric Meter Division for wire to be installed in the trench and connected at the meter socket and transformer/secondary pedestal. Please give us 3 days notice.
- Services above 200 Amps shall be referred to the Electric Engineering Division at 502 Carroll.
(return to list)
Applying for a Water Meter or Yard Meter
Both the water meter and yard meter may be applied for on the meter request form.
NOTE: Because the City's photovoltaic program has the potential to change it is recommended you contact the utility to ensure you are taking into account current rebate, metering, and excess energy payment information. For technical help call Lyndon Cook at 515-239-5174 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For rebate information call Steve Wilson at 515-239-7177 or email email@example.com.