Description and Purpose
The Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) is an annual document created and maintained by the Ames Area MPO staff. This document covers the Ames Area MPO planning region and is combined with the Iowa Statewide Transportation Program (STIP) to form vital components for an extensive, ongoing, and cooperative planning effort for the programming of federal funds. The Ames Area MPO TIP serves as a list of federal-aid surface transportation improvements for the region.
FY 2018-2021 Transportation Improvement Program
The FY 2018-2021 TIP became effective October 1, 2017. Projects must be included in the State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) to be eligible for Federal funding. More information on the STIP can be found on the Iowa Department of Transportation website. The program was adopted July 11, 2017.
Revision History: Amended January 9, 2018.
*For copies of past programs, contact the Ames Area MPO at 515-239-5169
Applications for Submitting Projects
Surface Transportation Block Grant (STBG)
The Fixing America's Surface Transportation (FAST) Act converts the long-standing Surface Transportation Program (STP) into the Surface Transportation Block Grant Program (STBG) acknowledging that this program has the most flexible eligibilities among all Federal-aid highway programs and aligning the program's name with how the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) has historically administered it. The STBG promotes flexibility in State and local transportation decisions and provides flexible funding to best address State and local transportation needs. (FAST Act § 1109(a)) More information on the STBG Program is available here.
- STBG Application (APPLICATION DUE MARCH 31, 2018)
- Return completed applications to Tony Filippini at firstname.lastname@example.org. Call (515) 239-5169 to coordinate other application submittal options.
Iowa's Transportation Alternative Program (TAP)
- TAP Application (DOT Form 240004)
- Statewide and Multi-Regional Projects (APPLICATION DUE DECEMBER 1, 2017)
- State Guidance for applying for the Statewide TAP Program can be found on the Iowa DOT Office of Systems Planning webpage.
- Local (Ames-Gilbert) Projects (APPLICATION DUE MARCH 31, 2018)
- Return competed applications to Tony Filippini at email@example.com. Call (515) 239-5169 to coordinate other application submittal options. Use DOT TAP Application with link provided in the first bullet.