Licenses, Permits, and Other Certificates


Here is a list of common licenses, permits and other certificates

The letters in bold represent the issuing office and are explained in this key.



Activities not requiring permits:

  • Busking (street entertainment):
    Registration Form
    Information about Busking in Ames
  • Itinerant Merchant Registration Form (for door-to-door sales in commercial zones or by permanent local organizations)

Professional Licenses
If you would like to question whether a person has his or her professional license granted by the City (house movers, tree trimmers, etc.), contact the City Clerk’s Office at 515-239-5105.

Bicycle Licenses
For bicycle licenses, please click here.