A Collaborative Project for All Ages!
The City of Ames has partnered with Mary Greeley Medical Center, Iowa State University, Des Moines Area Community College, Story County, and Heartland Senior Center to explore building an intergenerational Healthy Life Center along property currently owned by Iowa State University on Scholl Road, just north of Ontario Street.
The Healthy Life Center purpose:
To provide a one-of-a-kind center that makes the life-long goal of healthy living accessible and enjoyable to people of all ages and socio-economic status.The Healthy Life Center would bring to residents:
• A holistic approach
• A focus on health-promotion
• A support for physical activity
• Social connections
• Enhanced long-term health
• Improved nutritional behavior
• Multi-generational connections
The Healthy Life Center collaboration partner team has continued to meet since 2016 to develop plans, explore costs, and look for opportunities to move the project forward. The Health Life Center would be owned by the City of Ames with partnership agreements with the other organizations involved. In fall of 2017, the City of Ames hired RDG consultants to conduct a feasibility study determine next steps. The results of that study are available in this Healthy Life Center PowerPoint.
Questions? Want a Speaker?
For questions or to request a speaker for your organization, contact:
- Keith Abraham, Ames Parks and Recreation Director
- Gary Botine, Mary Greeley Medical Center
- Nancy Carroll, Executive Director of Heartland Senior Services
- Susan Gwiasda, Ames Public Information Officer